The Child Theme Wizard lets you create a new child theme without the need for additional tools, right from within the WordPress admin interface. Once activated you can find it under Tools – Child Theme Wizard.
Specify a parent theme, customise options such as title and description and click Create Child Theme. Upon success you will find your new theme under Appearance – Themes.
You have the option to include GPL License Terms if you wish. The Wizard will automatically create a thumbnail too. In future versions I may include an image uploader for this feature.
To find out more about Child Themes and why they are important please read https://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes
- Either: Upload the entire folder
- Or: download the ZIP file, then head over to Plugins – Add New – Install, then browse to your file
- Or: from Plugins – Add New, search for „child theme wizard“, to find this plugin and hit „install“
- Then: Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- You can find it under Tools – Child Theme Wizard
Contributors & Developers
“Child Theme Wizard” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Translate “Child Theme Wizard” into your language.
Interested in development?
Browse the code, check out the SVN repository, or subscribe to the development log by RSS.
- defined the preivously undefined variable $parent_style (thanks, Marcin!)
- updated links to WordPress Dev Docs
- tested compatibility with WordPress 5.1
- updated link to Codex
- added version query as suggested in Codex as of 2019
- corrected a spelling mistake (thanks, Cory!)
- the parent theme is now queued via functions.php
- Initial Release