Make comments management easier by applying some of the simple hacks the Yoast team uses.
This plugin adds some small hacks around core WordPress comments to make them more bearable:
- Cleaner comment notification emails.
- The option to disallow comments below and above a certain length.
- The option to redirect first time commenters to a thank you page.
- An input field on the comment edit screen to change the comment parent ID.
- Links in the admin comments section to email individual commenters.
- A button in the WP toolbar to email all the commenters on a post.
- Adds a comment routing option. This adds a dropdown in a post’s discussion settings, allowing the routing of comment emails to another user.
See the screenshots to get an even better idea of the plugins functionality.
Install through your backend
- Search for „yoast comment hacks“, click install.
- You’re done.
- Download and unzip the plugin.
- Upload the
yoast-comment-hacksdirectory to the
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress.
- Configure your settings on the Settings → Comment Hacks screen.
Contributors & Developers
“Yoast Comment Hacks” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
- Fixed: the „Email commenters“ link would not be displayed in the WordPress admin bar and in the Comments list.
- Fixed: the „Email commenters“ link in the front end admin bar wouldn’t work when jQuery wasn’t enqueued.
- Fixed: the notification emails for new comments would have incorrect content for the Author line and the text displayed before the comment.
- Fix language packs.
- Fixed: comment recipient dropdown would reset on reload of the page.
- Fixed: admin bar CSS showing when no admin bar is showing.
- Limit the roles shown in the comment notifications dropdown to roles that normally exist and can write. Introduces a new filter to allow expanding them.
- Add option to restrict comments that are too long, next to too small.
reply-toheader to comment notification and moderation emails, pointing to the post author.
- Preserve the active tab when saving settings.
[...]from pingback / trackback excerpt in cleaned emails as that’s already included by core.
- Replace link to ARIN with link to ip-lookup.net for details about the IP.
- Refactored code for readability and code quality.
- Refactor upgrade routine to do less DB queries.
Fixes several issues:
- Differentiate between AJAX request and normal POST for nonce checking, fixes #7.
- Make sure comment type isn’t empty in cleaned email, fixes #8.
- Allow setting the comment parent to 0, fixes #10.
- Prevents defaults from being reinstated, fixes #14.
- Adds translator comments to all strings with
- Updates to new version of Yoast i18n, in the process switching from
translate.wordpress.organd removing packaged translations.
yarn.lockand removed no longer needed i18n grunt tasks.
- Add text domain so the plugin can be translated.
- Add comment routing option, adds a dropdown in a post’s discussion settings, allowing the routing of comment emails to another user.
- Initial version.