By default, the only way to see how a new theme looks on your site is to
activate it, making it visible to everyone who visits. With this plugin, it
is possible to view how a new theme looks without activating it.
Possible future enhancements:
- Add an options screen.
- Allow choice of theme to preview from a known list of installed themes.
- Provide persistent previews by setting a cookie.
- Restrict preview ability by user Roles/Capabilities.
- Child-theme friendliness.
May not work properly with child themes. This is because it will not be able
to inherit from the parent theme as it normally would.
- Upload the
theme-previewfolder and its contents to your
- Activate in the
- Visit your site with a special parameter added to the URL
Add query variables
preview_css to your query
string. For example, if you have a theme named „My Theme“, which is
installed in your
wp-content/themes/my-theme directory, add the theme’s
directory name to your URL like this:
Sometimes, you create a new look for your site by just making new CSS, but
you keep the existing PHP files intact. In that case, you con use the
preview_css variable instead of
preview_theme, or use them both
together, like this:
There are no reviews for this plugin.
Contributors & Developers
“Theme Preview” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Translate “Theme Preview” into your language.
Interested in development?
Browse the code, check out the SVN repository, or subscribe to the development log by RSS.
- SECURITY: Eliminate directory traversal, limit themes to registered directories.
- Fixed to work with newer versions of WordPress.
- Tested with WordPress 3.0-alpha